Sunday, January 3, 2010

Unexpected Windfalls (of the Kitchen Variety)

Twas the night before Christmas
And all through our home
Wafted smells from oven
Which made my mouth foam


As I honed my begging skills my human Uncle D disappeared into the kitchen. Now, usually I follow into the kitchen, but as I said I was begging and couldn't abandon hope of receiving even the tiniest tidbit from Mama, or from HGM. Which is why I wasn't in the kitchen then disaster struck. Or should I say, disaster for Uncle D...

Glorious windfall for me.

He claims he was taking the apple pie out of the oven and was almost to the counter when the whole pie pan bent in half and escaped from his grasp; falling in all of its scrumptious glory to the floor. And as everyone knows, according to Universal Canine By-Laws (applicable to family pets only):

"If it's on the floor, it's fair game."

Mama was afraid all that pie would make me sick, so my family cleaned the bulk of it up, but just when I was about to lose hope...they called me into the kitchen and LET ME CLEAN THE FLOOR! Oh joy! Oh Rapture!


Making sure I get to all those hard-to-reach spots....


And that no crumb, no matter how small, gets missed...



Some of it even splattered onto the dishwasher...


Of course I was more than happy to clean that up...



I get the warm fuzzies just thinking about that night. Good times.

I love apple pie!

In closing, I would like to point out that Mama says that it's been a tough year all around and that we were luckier than many. So here's to hoping that 2010 is full of unexpected windfalls for all my friends far and wide.

4 comments:

  1. Subi, I'm sorry for Uncle D, but happy for you! I admire how you fit your snout into the nooks and crannies to obtain this wonderful treat. Life is good! Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's that saying about someone's loss is someone else's gain? Looks like you won on that round!!!

    Happy New Year!

    *kissey face*
    -Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Subi - You are one incredibly helpful - selfless pup. Helping out with the difficult (and sometime sticky) apple pie cleanup was so gracious of you. - Now if I could only get Mom to bake an Apple Pie!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam loves apple pie too! How kind of you to volunteer to help clean it up!

    Sam and Cisco

    ReplyDelete